Monday, February 15, 2010

FOOD, more FOOD and much FOOD!!!-CNY edition



It's Chinese New Year again, this time around I've prepared myself for some delicious food prepared by my grandmother and also grandaunts. Usually on the eve of New Year, my whole family will make our way to Seremban which is also my hometown. I was born in Seremban and that makes me a Seremban boy. To tell you the truth, I spent most of my growing up years in Malacca...so I don't know much about my hometown except for its so called famous 'Siew Pow'.
Before the reunion dinner, I decided to skip lunch in preparation for the great feast.




The family tradition uasually includes tossing Yee Sang which is a dish that usually consists of strips of raw fish, mixed with shredded vegetables and a variety of sauces and condiments, among other ingredients. I look forward to this event every year because not only does the Yee Sang taste good, its suppose to bring good fortune to us. Since we usually can't fit everyone into a table, we enjoy our dinner buffet style. Basically, we just choose the dishes we want and then sit in front of the television to watch astro. Although pork is a must in any traditional chinese cuisine, we also eat chicken, fish and duck meat! Don't get me wrong, I'm not against vegetables or something like that, I just love the scent of meat.






On New Year's day, my grandaunt always prepares this particularly delicious vegetarian dish. We become vegetarians for half the day because an overdose of meat will kill you. That's what they always say...


This year was kinda special because I participate din an open house event organised by the Joint Council of Chinese Associations in SMJK(C) Chung Hua. I even got an Ang Pow from the Menteri Besar of Negeri sembilan, what an honour...That generous man gave me 200 cents! That equivalent to 2 ringgit and that's a huge amount of money. I could buy 40 5 cent sweets with that amount of money. After that open house, I finally realisedwhat the 1 Malaysia spirit is all about, its about pushing and fighting for precious free food, the muhibah spirit was everywhere...All races joined forces to eat FOOD regardless of race or background!

The stuff that keeps my body running...yummy!






...more Chinese New Year experiences coming right up!

No comments: